Massage is now regarded as a mainstream therapy and is increasingly recommended by doctors and medical professionals. It has been recognised as an overall wellness program. As our nerves run through the spine, the back is one of the most beneficial parts of the body for massage.
Benefits of Back Massage
- Regular back massage can help to alleviate lower back pain – Your back muscles can become very tense due to overuse or repetitive use during a rigorous workout or a sitting at a desk all day long. When massage is applied, the tension in these muscles is reduced. Pain can also occur in the neck and shoulder due to repetitive movements or immobility. Massage of the upper back can work to alleviate tightness and pain felt in these area, and can also reduce pain from migraines and headaches.
- If the massage is applied in the back regularly, it stimulates the production of the feel good chemicals within our bodies, such as endorphins, dopamine and serotonin. The release of these chemicals in conjunction with massage techniques, help to mitigate and decrease pain in the lower back, which can reduce anxiety and depression.
- Full sleep cycles are necessary for optimum performance and good health. Back massage also helps to relax and relieve tense muscles that may be disrupting your sleep. It can also help tight, weak and atrophied tissues and muscles be healed, while improving their range of motion. If you have strained muscles in the lower, middle, and upper back, back massage works to increase the flexibility of your joints and muscles.
- Back massage stimulates the circulation of blood and help to bring oxygen-rich blood and nutrients to the muscles and major organs of the body. Back massage during pregnancy promotes healthy circulation between a mother and her baby, and prevents common fluid build up in and swelling of the joints. Back massage during pregnancy also helps to relieve anxiety; reduce symptoms of depression; and alleviate muscle aches and pains in joints. During childbirth, back massage may help women feel less pain during labor and make delivery easier, while also reducing length of hospital stay after childbirth.
- At present, people all over the world are gradually adopting a sedentary lifestyle due to work commitments, particularly in office environments. As a result, the muscles that support the spine become weaker and the risks of injuries are increased. Regular back massage can help to strengthen the spine, by improving posture and our structural health.
- It has been shown in studies that human touch and interaction is needed to promote feelings of love, safety, appreciation and relaxation. As a result, and because of the health benefits discussed above, back massage can be beneficial for kids. If it is applied regularly, it reduces tension while also making children feel good. It also enhances deep and effective sleep, which is required for the proper growth of the children.
- It is interesting that in this modern world, people are increasingly losing their dependence on medications. They are becoming more interested in holistic approaches, such as massage, which has become much more respected within the health industry. Massage is frequently recommended to people with back or neck pain by healthcare professionals, as it has become a proven method of treatment without any side affects.
Different Kinds of Massage Therapies
Swedish massage therapy is one of them. Swedish massage is generally used to relieve stiff neck, back ache and physical pains related to emotional problems. This form of massage includes long smooth strokes, kneading, and circular movements on the layers of muscles, with the use of oil or massage lotion.
For further inquiries, you can consult with your massage therapist or the health care provider. Call our expert therapists at Happy Physio on (08) 9272 7359 today.